- sets out your wishes as to how you want your Estate (what you own) to be divided;
- appoints Executors and Trustees to administer your Estate, and Guardians to take care of your children; and
- includes specific bequests, directions, and exclusions in how to distribute your Estate.
If you don't have a Will, your Estate will be administered in accordance with the strict provisions of the Estate Administration Act of British Columbia (soon to be replaced by the new Wills, Estates and Succession Act), which will probably not reflect your wishes and will result in significantly more expense.
Our lawyers have experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Estate planning
- Preparation of Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Representation Agreements, and Living Wills
- Obtaining Grant of Letters of Probate where a person dies with a Will
- Obtaining Grant of Letters of Administration where a person dies without a Will
- Contesting a Will
- Estate litigation
- Related tax matters
The lawyers at Davidson lawyers LLP have an exceptional depth of experience in all areas of estate planning and administration. We work closely with accountants, tax advisors, and financial advisors. We are good listeners as we strive to ensure that we have full knowledge of your assets and personal circumstances to ensure that your Will reflects your wishes.
Have you considered the following questions?
1. Are you confident that your legal affairs are organized so that your wishes, upon death, will be carried out?
2. If you are unable to make your own decisions due to illness, do you have protections in place to ensure that your estate is managed properly by someone you trust?
3. Are you interested in planning your affairs to reduce taxes?
4. Do you want to avoid family conflict in your planning or resolve a conflict that already exists?
5. Are you confident that you have the right executor who will do the job efficiently and without conflict?
At Davidson lawyers LLP we can give you that peace of mind through effective planning. For over 90 years we have been helping people like you organize your legal affairs with confidence and ease.
We prepare well-crafted Wills at reasonable rates that protect your loved ones and the assets that you have worked so hard to accumulate.