The history of Davidson Lawyers LLP in Vernon began in 1919 when Charles William Morrow opened his law practice. Charlie Morrow was born in Prescott, Ontario in 1897. He was city solicitor for 25 years and had a long association with many community organizations, including the Board of Trade, Trinity United Church, Royal Canadian Legion and the Masons. Mr. Morrow served during World War I in the infantry and the Royal Air Force. During World War II, he was in charge of the Pacific Coast Rangers in the North Okanagan. He was an MLA from 1945 to 1952, during which time he was deputy speaker and government whip. In 1951, he was named Queen's Counsel. In 1956, Mr. Morrow was appointed to the B.C. County Court. Judge Morrow retired in 1972, was given the Freedom of the City in 1977. He died in 1980 in Vernon.
Thomas Grantham Norris joined Judge Morrow in 1924. Mr. Norris was born in Victoria, BC on September 14, 1893 and, in 1911, was called and admitted to the B.C. Bar. A veteran of both World War I and World War II, Mr. Norris later practiced in Kelowna and in Vancouver. He was named as Queen's Counsel in 1932. Mr. Norris was appointed to the B.C. Supreme Court in 1958 and, in 1961, was elevated to the B.C. Court of Appeal. Widely respected for his independent thinking and dedication to the law, Norris retired from practice on the eve of his seventy-fifth birthday in 1968. Thomas Norris passed away October 7, 1976.
In 1946, Neil Anderson Davidson joined Mr. Morrow. Mr. Davidson was born in Stettler, Alberta in 1916 and moved to the North Okanagan in the 1920s, where his family operated a large sheep operation. After serving in the Canadian Air Force during World War II, Mr. Davidson returned to Vernon, becoming an associate of Mr. Morrow in his thriving practice in 1946. By 1948, the firm was renamed Morrow & Davidson. A tireless community leader, Mr. Davidson served his community as mayor between 1979 and 1981, and was also the chairman or president of numerous organizations, including the Silver Star Park Board, Social Planning Council, Chamber of Commerce and Vernon Golf & Country Club. He was the fund-raising chair of the People's Place, and the honorary fund-raising chair for the United Way. In the late 1950s, he was a founding owner and director of Silver Star Ski Area and was a legendary powder and heli-skier. In 1969, he was named Queen's Counsel. In 1993, Mr. Davidson was recognized by his peers for his contributions to the legal profession in British Columbia when he was awarded the Georges A Goyer, QC Memorial Award for Distinguished Service. Mr. Davidson passed away January 16, 2010.
Peter Donald Seaton joined the firm in 1950, articling under Messrs. Morrow and Davidson. Judge Seaton was born and raised in Vernon, where his father was a well-known teacher. Upon graduating from high school, he joined the Canadian Air Force and, in 1945, went as part of the occupation forces to Hamburg, Germany. After Judge Morrow's appointment to the County Court in 1956, the firm was renamed Davidson & Seaton. Judge Seaton practiced with the firm until his appointment to the B.C. Supreme Court in 1966, an appointment marking the start of a long and distinguished judicial career. He was elevated to the Court of Appeal in 1973. Judge Seaton died one week before Christmas 1993 while skiing at Silver Star mountain with his friend and former partner Neil Davidson. Judge Seaton was honoured (posthumously) by his peers for his truly exceptional lifetime contribution to the legal profession with the Law Society Award in 1994.
After Judge Seaton was appointed to the bench, the firm changed its name to Davidson & Company and continued the tradition of providing our clients with sound legal advice and practical solutions to their legal problems. Since 1965, our firm has been located in the VantageOne Credit Union building, located in downtown Vernon. In 2006, the firm's name was changed to Davidson Lawyers LLP in recognition of the fact that our firm is a limited liability partnership (LLP) and not a corporate entity. We remain a team of experienced lawyers, ably assisted by knowledgeable and competent support staff, and are proud to carry on a 90 year tradition of Serving Our Community. It's What We Do.